Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day 3/Hillary Stresses Unity





California's breakfast featured John Kerry. It was good to see him again.
Hillary set up a meeting with her delegates for 1:15. I headed to the Convention Center. I thought I would try to listen in on the Senior caucus for a bit and get a free lunch in the process. As I was walking down the hall I saw the sign for Nancy Pelosi's book signing. I stopped, got in line and was able to get her to sign her book "Know Your Strength" for my daughters. Wow. As I boarded the escalator for the Sr. Caucus downstairs I noticed the long line to get into the Hillary event still one hour away. Of course I got in line. That ended my lunch plans and introduced me to the nicest couple from Hawaii who had been for Hillary, but were now leaning toward Barack. We good discussions while we waited. We decided the V.P. would have been a waste of her talent and strength. Remaining in the Senate and perhaps becoming the leader in Harry Reed's position would give her the place to do her best work. When we finally got to see and listen to her, she was stunning. She encouraged us to come together and support Obama and Biden. How could any of the important issues she has worked for be accomplished with a McCain win? This is not about any one person but about the best for our Country and our people. We must vote for the people of America so that they can have jobs again - green jobs, health care for all, and education that is affordable to all children. That means vote for Obama/Biden who stand for what Hillary has always stood for. What a gracious, mature and fabulous women. I bought a pin "Hillary supporters for Obama".
The evening was exhilarating!! We nominated Barack Obama for our Presidential candidate. Voting commenced and as the votes added up and were about to go over the needed amount, New Mexico passed to Illinois who passed to New York and Hillary made a motion to nominate Obama by voice vote, which we did. What a great move by the Democratic Party!!
Military generals and enlisted kids as well as wounded vets, including Cathy Duckworth spoke of how effective Barack Obama would be as Commander & Chief.
Bill Clinton threw his support to Obama with a rousing speech, and Joe Biden accepted our nomination for V.P. with his family. A great speech, a great man, a great family. He is the best choice I am convinced.
You would love the people here. There are so many around who believe in the same thing as we do. Good night from Denver.

1 comment:

Cath said...

Wow, what an amazing night! Bill gave a great speech, I was so glad that he came through for Obama. What really shocked me, however, was John Kerry's rousing speech! Where was that passion in 2004!? I also thought Joe Biden's son gave a wonderful introduction and his mom was so cute. I'm really looking forward to tonight. Go Dems!